Saturday, June 9, 2012

A few of my assorted projects

Here's a quick post about a few different projects I have going on right now.  I will go into more depth for most of these at a later date.

- I recently built a very simple algae culture "farm."  A lot of people like to call these "bio-reactors" but I feel that makes it sound way more cool than it really is.  It's essentially some bottles that have algae growing in them.  I have yet to decide on a use for this algae...  oh well.

- I've been working on building a model sized jet engine for quite some time now.  It will be a fully operational engine about 24 cm in length.  This project is a little more expensive than most of my others, so it's pretty slow going.

- I had to build a fully automated lifting bridge for a project at school.  I will have a detailed post on this later, but here is a quick teaser image:

I went with a tilt style bridge for this project

- Last year, I had to design and build a scale model of a food cart for a Thai food restaurant for another school project.  I will have another detailed post for this at a later date.

- I've been on a bit of a coffee kick lately.  I've been trying all different kinds of ways of brewing coffee.  I'm in the middle of putting together a siphon coffee brewer, similar to the one demonstrated in this YouTube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHz-NIPTvf0.  I have also been working with a classmate to develop and build an espresso machine.  This will be an ongoing project, which we will work on throughout the year.

- To get experience using PID controllers for the espresso machine, the same classmate and I are planning to build a sous-vide cooker: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sous-vide

There are many more projects which I have worked on, and currently have going that I will most likely talk about another time.  Keep coming back to see any updates!

No comments:

Post a Comment